Forums

Forum Home > Great Jobs on the Aussie coast > Searoad Shipping- Bass Strait

Sam R

Gday all....

I was a Deck Cadet with Searoad Shipping from May 2011 to July 2012. I'm a kiwi and I suppose I was just in the right place right time to get the start there I did. I'm now qualified and am studying up to sit the AMSA Certificate of Recognition orals so I can get back to Aussie. I've since worked on a kiwi ship as well and have seen a huge difference. On the kiwi ship some of the MUNZ boys didn't even wanna shake my hand when I 1st met them just because I wasn't an AB---- I'm a member of the AMOU btw.......

By comparison I have ZERO bad things to say about my time at Searoad. I was on the Searoad Mersey my entire time and I LOVED it. It's the crew that make the ship........ despite hard work lashing trucks (injured my back through RSI- maybe I should've bended my knees more!!!), cleaning a few bogs and dealing with the fun and games the Bass Strait can whip up in winter....... all the guys I worked with there on both swings were quality guys..... from the steward to the CIR to the Captain..... nobody treated anyone any different based on rank, it was all on how you treated the guys you lived with and if you worked hard at your job........ I look back at the photos and videos of my time there with nothing but a smile and one day if I get back there it'll be tops :)

The moment I stepped onboard, the ship manager said to the CIR ("Filthy" Phil Tippins if anyone heres run across him) don't hold it against him but Sam's a Kiwi..... Filthy took a drag on his rolly and said "doesn't bother me I'm Tasmanian and you Aussie barstards hate us more than them" and grinned..... that's when I knew I was on a job with good blokes......

The accommodation is pretty good, despite outside appearances and the weatherdeck often smelling of livestock trailers! Good size cabins with a desk, bunk, coffee table, armchair and sofa.... everything you could want for a monthlong swing..... free internet on wifi (but woh betide you if you use up the whole data allowance by leaving microsoft update accidentally on overnight---- wasn't me btw!!)

The gym was small but good, nice loud sound system to get you pumping weights!!

Can't fault my time there or the blokes I worked with..... I learnt a lot and I wouldn't be qualified now if it wasn't for the training I received.... 

As I said I've since worked on a kiwi boat with a number of ABs who have a chip on their shoulder (some didn't even wait to get to know me before deciding to basically hate my guts) and I look forward to working back in Aus if I'm ever lucky enough (I know every ship and crew is different, and I'll come across all sorts of people in my career.... I'm sure there a good kiwi crew left on our diminishing coast  :))......

Recommend it to anyone..... Gower, Filthy, Rabbit, Gazza and Boxhead..... you boys are legends!

May 15, 2013 at 5:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr Sam Kelly
Site Owner

Sam R at May 15, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Gday all....

I was a Deck Cadet with Searoad Shipping from May 2011 to July 2012. I'm a kiwi and I suppose I was just in the right place right time to get the start there I did. I'm now qualified and am studying up to sit the AMSA Certificate of Recognition orals so I can get back to Aussie. I've since worked on a kiwi ship as well and have seen a huge difference. On the kiwi ship some of the MUNZ boys didn't even wanna shake my hand when I 1st met them just because I wasn't an AB---- I'm a member of the AMOU btw.......

By comparison I have ZERO bad things to say about my time at Searoad. I was on the Searoad Mersey my entire time and I LOVED it. It's the crew that make the ship........ despite hard work lashing trucks (injured my back through RSI- maybe I should've bended my knees more!!!), cleaning a few bogs and dealing with the fun and games the Bass Strait can whip up in winter....... all the guys I worked with there on both swings were quality guys..... from the steward to the CIR to the Captain..... nobody treated anyone any different based on rank, it was all on how you treated the guys you lived with and if you worked hard at your job........ I look back at the photos and videos of my time there with nothing but a smile and one day if I get back there it'll be tops :)

The moment I stepped onboard, the ship manager said to the CIR ("Filthy" Phil Tippins if anyone heres run across him) don't hold it against him but Sam's a Kiwi..... Filthy took a drag on his rolly and said "doesn't bother me I'm Tasmanian and you Aussie barstards hate us more than them" and grinned..... that's when I knew I was on a job with good blokes......

The accommodation is pretty good, despite outside appearances and the weatherdeck often smelling of livestock trailers! Good size cabins with a desk, bunk, coffee table, armchair and sofa.... everything you could want for a monthlong swing..... free internet on wifi (but woh betide you if you use up the whole data allowance by leaving microsoft update accidentally on overnight---- wasn't me btw!!)

The gym was small but good, nice loud sound system to get you pumping weights!!

Can't fault my time there or the blokes I worked with..... I learnt a lot and I wouldn't be qualified now if it wasn't for the training I received.... 

As I said I've since worked on a kiwi boat with a number of ABs who have a chip on their shoulder (some didn't even wait to get to know me before deciding to basically hate my guts) and I look forward to working back in Aus if I'm ever lucky enough (I know every ship and crew is different, and I'll come across all sorts of people in my career.... I'm sure there a good kiwi crew left on our diminishing coast  :))......

Recommend it to anyone..... Gower, Filthy, Rabbit, Gazza and Boxhead..... you boys are legends!

Nice story mate, Ive never been on the Bass Straight run, but I look forward to the day that I do. 

--

Cheers and smooth sailing

Sam

May 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kent Anderson

Any woodworking or carpentry related opportunity?

--

http://www.javateakoutdoorfurniture.com/products/

August 15, 2015 at 4:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.