Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lack of TIR positions

kent carnogursky

Hi, Ive been trying to get a TIR position now for over 3 yrs. It aint as easy as u may think. Ive probably applied to every company in australia at least 10 times. Im beginning to realise that its impossible to do the sea time component. I have roughly 1500 days at sea on coastal barges n fishing vessels. Yet still i cant land a job. I know its all about who u know not wat u know but this is getting to b a joke. They even told us in our last week of classes that it would take up to 2 yrs to land a job. Had they told me at start i would of bailed.  Is anybody else out there finding it as hard as me?? or can lead me in a better direction. Thanks kent

December 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wife&daughter

I can't really help Kent - my husband is lucky enough to have a TIR position due to contacts - this system has benefited us, but it certainly isn't ensuring the best and brightest are working in the industry.

My husband was quite upset when at AMC, that they were taking enrollments without advising the guys of how hard it is to get the sea time without a sponsor.  It isn't fair that they take your money, when it is so hard to get the work.

I hope something turns up soon.

December 22, 2014 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr Sam Kelly
Site Owner

Why dont you apply for a cadetship as a navigator? You have the sea survival components. Cadets can get jobs anywhere in the world

--

Cheers and smooth sailing

Sam

December 23, 2014 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr Sam Kelly
Site Owner

The other thing you have to understand is the Liberal government has allowed 988 Maritime Visa holders (Normally allowed to stay a week in port while ships discharge cargo) to stay indefinitley and do the work of Australians. The last few years has seen a decline in jobs locally. I have 12 years experience and a lot of specialized tickets. But I have only been able to work 4 months of the year instead of 6. The thing is I get people asking me how to get to sea all the time, every day I get dozens of emails... because they hear how fantastic it is and how much money you make....the reality is that its almost all casuals in the industry and you will be lucky to get more than 12 months work on the same ship before having to look around for another job. The money isnt as good as everyone thinks, and the industry has totally changed in the last few years. There are more offshore vessels than overseas trading ships.... Why I came to sea wasnt for the money, it was because I love ships and always have and I wanted to travel the world.

Ask yourself why do you want to go to sea, if ts for money then it isnt as much as you think, if its for time off, dont worry you will have plenty

--

Cheers and smooth sailing

Sam

December 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kent carnogursky

Yup thanks. I just really love the ocean, i started out on fishing boats n barges n was working my way to shipping vessels, but i realise that now i made a grave error as its impossible to find a job. So thanks for the advice.

January 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.